Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Art of Failure

Today, so close to the end of the 2 week FM Scouts training program, we learned about failure. In fact, we have two whole days of class dedicated to failing, failure, and lessons we can learn from being unsuccessful.

I think they're trying to tell us something.

As part of this class, we took a Hogan Development Survey to assess which personality traits might "limit our [individual] careers" or, in so many words, potentially cause us to fail as individuals. Like most personality tests, I found the questions to be repetitive and slightly weird but my results were interesting. Of the 11 pre-determined personality "types" (excitable, skeptical, cautious, reserved, leisurely, bold, mischievous, colorful, imaginative, diligent, and dutiful) I landed in the "danger zone" of the 90th percentile of only 2 (which I'm guessing is not that bad): imaginative and skeptical.

I can't say that I've every really thought of imagination as a barrier to success but, according to the survey: "People with high risk [imaginative] scores tend to be colorful, entertaining and quite often visible. However, others may find them hard to work with because they can be unconventional, eccentric, and unaware of how their actions affect others"

.... I feel like this maybe just another way to say that not everyone gets along all the time... but, considering I scored in the 99th percentile, definitely something to keep in mind. The survey also mentioned something about easily becoming bored but who knows what that's all about . (haha.)

The other "dangerously strong" trait, "skeptical," kind of seems to speak for itself in how that could be personally limiting. On the positive side of things, the survey seems to suggest that although people can perceive me as being cynical, suspicious, and mistrustful, I am also, apparently, shrewd and difficult to fool.

Maybe I can use this to my advantage in the "wild west" of overseas emergent markets.

In any case, learning about failure as an art is certainly helping me come to terms with the idea that my complete absence of business background doesn't necessarily make me a prime candidate for negotiating incredible business deals to propel obscure start-ups to international stardom and financial freedom. I can only hope that some of my other (people) skills can be used to do something (anything) useful for the hopeful entrepreneurs in Nigeria (and Togo...and elsewhere).

Maybe I can do an interpretive dance to improve office morale... (haha). As such an "imaginative" type, failure art is somehow more comforting than failure numbers.

"Its not a failure if you enjoyed the process" - (the great) Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment